Init script nightmare.

andrew at ece.curtin.edu.au andrew at ece.curtin.edu.au
Wed Nov 12 08:19:22 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:23:17AM +0000, Paul Campbell wrote:

<snip>

> I would like to make a suggestion?  Point these problems out.  If you are
> installing LFS on a basic singular desktop, they are fine, if you
> installing anything else that has to make it's very best efforts to come up
> in whatever state, they are a liability.
>
> At worst you/I/someone could add:
>
> STOP_ON_FAIL=
> REBOOT_ON_FAIL=
> HALT_ON_FAIL=

I got bitten by the same result due to a different reason (H/W upgrade
rendered all of my old rescue boot media with a kernel panic), and I
like the solution given here. It gives easy customization to stop on
different levels of severity. Also, I remember something along the lines
of init=/bin/bash lilo option (would have helped me no end to remember
that back at the time of my problem), and I assume a similar feature of
grub- to allow a recovery in the case of stopping on a failure that
could be fixed easily barring the behaviour of the init scripts. Might
be beneficial (and educational) to mention in future versions of the book?

//Andrew