Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Tue Nov 11 13:24:23 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Paul Sutherland wrote:

> Hey,
>    I'm really new to Linux in general.  I went through the Linux From
> Scratch 4.0 book as closely as I could.  The only exception was that I
> don't have another Linux partition installed.  Instead I used Knoppix
> and booted from the CD.  Since "8.4 Making The System Bootable" was
> geared toward people who are installing LFS on a different partition, I
> am not sure if I did that right.  Well, anyways, when I rebooted LFS for
> the first time, I got the error:
>
>        kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
>        VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
>        Please append correct "root=" boot option
>        Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01
>
> Does anyone know what this means or how to go about solving it?  Thanks
> for your help

As Ken mentioned, your fs support should be built in. I just wanted to
add a not that general wisdom dictates that you *avoid* use of loadable
modules and/or *any* unneeded variations of the book untill you have a
few "LFS miles" under your belt, especially if you're "really new to
Linux in general". This will help keep the frustration level down for
you.

Also, be *sure* and jump into some of the refs for newer users that are
mentioned at various places.

> Paul

Happy, and successful, LFSing!  :)

--