Paul Sutherland Paul.Sutherland at tufts.edu
Tue Nov 11 10:38:20 PST 2003

Hey,
   I'm really new to Linux in general.  I went through the Linux From
Scratch 4.0 book as closely as I could.  The only exception was that I
don't have another Linux partition installed.  Instead I used Knoppix
and booted from the CD.  Since "8.4 Making The System Bootable" was
geared toward people who are installing LFS on a different partition, I
am not sure if I did that right.  Well, anyways, when I rebooted LFS for
the first time, I got the error:

       kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
       VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
       Please append correct "root=" boot option

Does anyone know what this means or how to go about solving it?  Thanks
for your help

Paul