LFS 5.0 and USB keyboard/mouse

Ilja Siera sjerra at cinar.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 01:59:13 PST 2003

Hi,
I'm not planning to read all the replies to your query, so maybe I'm saying
something that has been said before or totally irrelevant at this stage. But
please just see it as a token of help.
I installed my LFS using SuSE and their philosophy is to use hotplugging for
all usb devices. Therefor, all kernel options related to USB are compiled as
modules. You could install hotplug -as I understand you did- and create a
script to load all the neccesary modules at boottime, or, you could compile
them into the kernel.
Normally, very little can go wrong so I do think the problem is that not all
the needed modules are loaded. -unless your hardware is faulty-
apart from the UBS core support (UHCI) and USB dev filesystem you also need:
- hid :  in the  USB support menu (FULL HID support)
- keybdev & mousedev in the Input core support menu ( just enable all
options for convinience!)

As I said they can either be compiled as modules (but this needs a proper
HOTPLUG script at boottime) or directly into the kernel.

regards,

Ilja