bash: chroot: command not found ??

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Mon Nov 10 14:07:38 PST 2003

Erik Postma wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:23:26 +0800, tseteen <txz83_02 at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
>

>>[root at localhost lfs]# chroot $LFS /static/bin/env -i \
>>

>>>HOME=/root TERM=$TERM PS1='\u:\w\$ ' \
>>>PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/static/bin \
>>>/static/bin/bash --login
>>>

>>bash: chroot: command not found
>>
>>------------
>>I use redhat9,&lfs-4.0-rc1,
>>but it prints:'bash: chroot: command not found' ,what's that mean?
>>how to do with it?
>>

>Quite possibly you just don't have chroot in your path. My (older) redhat
>box has it at /usr/sbin.

Exactly. Redhat places many "system administration" commands in /sbin
and then leaves /sbin out of the PATH of normat users. Depending on how
you su to root it may not be in root's PATH either. Try replacing chroot
with /sbin/chroot in the above. Also, if your not to far along try
changing over to LFS 5.0 as another post mentioned.