Success with LFS and USB..

Robert R. Russell rrbrussell at cox.net
Mon Nov 10 05:09:46 PST 2003

<calkina at ece.curtin.edu.au> wrote in message
news:1068468968.3faf8ae8ad714 at www.ece.curtin.edu.au...
> Quoting Dale Weber <lfs-support at thedynaplex.net>:
>
> > Greets again!
> >
> > I am having some success (quite a lot, in fact, I think) getting USB to
fire

> > up on boot with LFS v5.0 now. ;) I have a working init to start up the
USB
> > subsystem, including mouse and keyboard devices. :D  In order to be able
> >
> > actually do this development ON my live LFS, I switched my USB keyboard
> > the PS/2 keyboard port temporarily.
> >
> > I also did look over the info on Source Forge folks here pointed me at,
> > which
> > led me to find the hotplug and usbutils packages, which I immediately
got,
> > built, and installed on my LFS.  Without this critical pointer, I doubt
> > would have been able to come as far as I have with this project, so
THANKS
> > guys!
> >
> > I looked over the various startup scripts for RedHat 9.0, and found code
> > that
> > deals with the USB stuff - I knew it had to be there somewhere, since
the USB

> > startup works perfectly there. I grabbed this code, adjusted it to work
with

> > LFS, and now I have a startup script for the USB subsystem.  Right now,
my
> > startup script starts and stops the USB subsystem via the standard SysV
Init

> > mechanism.
> >
> > All that is left to do to this startup script is quiet it down so it
doesn't

> > spew out all the device info and such during runs, and make it do the
> > OK/FAILED result codes like the other startup scripts do.
> >
> > My next step will be to integrate this code into the script that runs
before

> > everything else does, so the keyboard, mouse, and other hotpluggable USB
> > devices (including mass storage devices) can be ready to go at the
earliest

> > possible time in the LFS boot process.
> >
> > Maybe this is something that can be integrated into a future version of
the

> > LFS book..  I will post more on this as I progress with getting my
current
> > startup script integrated into the main LFS startup script(s).
> >
> > 8-Dale
> Probably a well structured hint that can be referenced from the LFS book
> would be the best thing. Glad to see it's all working for you now!
>
> OT- how do you select lilo/grub options on boot? I have always worried
> about not being able to init=/bin/bash in a worst case scenario, so have
> stayed with ps/2 keyb. How would you do it? Just swap a usb->ps2 adapter
> in if you need to I guess is one way.
>
> //Andrew

If the BIOS has support for a USB keyboard it should work. That low in the
boot proccess all of the input and output devices are being handled by the
BIOS. I am using a USB keyboard and mouse with my WinXP system and I can
navigate the BIOS and use F8 to interupt Windows XPs bootup without any
trouble. A lot of it will depend on how new the BIOS is.