Success with LFS and USB..

Dale Weber lfs-support at thedynaplex.net
Mon Nov 10 01:23:57 PST 2003

	Greets again!

	I am having some success (quite a lot, in fact, I think) getting USB to fire
up on boot with LFS v5.0 now. ;) I have a working init to start up the USB
subsystem, including mouse and keyboard devices. :D  In order to be able to
actually do this development ON my live LFS, I switched my USB keyboard to
the PS/2 keyboard port temporarily.

	I also did look over the info on Source Forge folks here pointed me at, which
led me to find the hotplug and usbutils packages, which I immediately got,
built, and installed on my LFS.  Without this critical pointer, I doubt I
would have been able to come as far as I have with this project, so THANKS
guys!

	I looked over the various startup scripts for RedHat 9.0, and found code that
deals with the USB stuff - I knew it had to be there somewhere, since the USB
startup works perfectly there. I grabbed this code, adjusted it to work with
LFS, and now I have a startup script for the USB subsystem.  Right now, my
startup script starts and stops the USB subsystem via the standard SysV Init
mechanism.

	All that is left to do to this startup script is quiet it down so it doesn't
spew out all the device info and such during runs, and make it do the
OK/FAILED result codes like the other startup scripts do.

	My next step will be to integrate this code into the script that runs before
everything else does, so the keyboard, mouse, and other hotpluggable USB
devices (including mass storage devices) can be ready to go at the earliest
possible time in the LFS boot process.

	Maybe this is something that can be integrated into a future version of the
LFS book..  I will post more on this as I progress with getting my current
startup script integrated into the main LFS startup script(s).

	8-Dale
--
The Dynaplex Network - http://www.thedynaplex.net
Charter Member of The Center for Intelligent Quoting.