A query.. Build LFS for a different target?

Erik Postma epostma at nl.tue.win
Mon Nov 10 00:38:21 PST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:00:27 -0800, Dale Weber
<lfs-support at thedynaplex.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 08 November 2003 8:36 am, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
>
> > It is more complicated then that;
> > The LFS build method assumes you can RUN the build binaries on the
> > builders (host in gcc terms) system.
> > If you want to compile a system for $target then you normally cannot
> > run the $target binaries so you need to use a different method using a
> > cross toolchain.. which is outside the scope of (current) LFS imho :)
>
> 	I found what looks like a great primer on cross compiling, by IBM,
> 	found at
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wi-zaurus/ which looks to
> cover all the necessary details.  This primer is oriented towards the
> Sharp Zaurus, but the same basic procedures -should- apply to any cross
> compiling one may want to do.
>
> 	I haven't gotten too far into this primer yet, but have it
> 	bookmarked for
> future perusal after I get my LFS build (now in chapter 6, building
> core-utils).
>
> 	8-Dale

To me it seems that it doesn't say anything about *creating* the
toolchain, they just download the precompiled rpms and that's it.

Now this is probably naive and certainly uninformed, but I'd think you
could do chapter 5 without caring about the final destination platform if
you're into appliance / embedded stuff, because I think you will not be
interested in compiling stuff on the actual device (only *for* the
device) and in the end, only the binaries from chapter 6 will be run on
the device. Then again, I wouldn't know how to proceed from there.

Another idea, maybe you could do some things with an emulator? But I doubt
that this will all go smooth and easy.

--
Erik Postma (Email: reverse the order of nl, tue and win.)