Glibc fails of error 127 too many symbolic links

Robert R. Russell rrbrussell at cox.net
Sun Nov 9 20:04:50 PST 2003

"Robert R. Russell" <rrbrussell at cox.net> wrote in message
news:3FADEBF5.7040709 at cox.net...
> Allard wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 08 November 2003 21:37, Robert R. Russell wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying to build a new LFS 5.0 system, with only it on the hard
> >> drive, so I am using Knoppix 3.3 EN as the host distro.
> >>
> >> This is the error message that I get from the second run of make after
> >> checking the /tools symlink, and it is identical to the first one.
> >

> > snip
> >
> >> gcc -B/tools/bin/ ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/init-first.c -c -std=gnu99
> >
> > snip
> >
> >> make[2]: execvp: gcc: Too many levels of symbolic links
> >> make[2]: *** [/tools/src/glibc-build/csu/init-first.o] Error 127
> >> make[2]: Leaving directory `/lfs/tools/src/glibc-2.3.2/csu'
> >> make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
> >> make[1]: Leaving directory `/lfs/tools/src/glibc-2.3.2'
> >> make: *** [all] Error 2
> >> lfs at 0[glibc-build]$
> >>
> >> According to the results of a search in the LFS archives this sort of
> >> problem is caused by incorect symbolic links. I have checked the and
> >> made sure the /tools is a symbolics link to $LFS/tools and that
> >> $LFS/tools/src is not a symbolic link. The problem still occours if I
> >> run make from $LFS/tools/src/glibc-build.
> >>
> >> Could this be a problem with knoppix since its /bin and /usr folder
> >> trees are symlinks to /KNOPPIX/bin and /KNOPPIX/usr. If it is I may
have
> >> to use the LFS Boot CD.
> >

> > Are you sure you didn't accidentally put another link to /tools
somewhere? The
> > "Too many levels of symbolic links" often means a link is pointing to
itself.

> > just a wild guess
> > Allard.
>
> The only possible other link to /lfs or /tools might be a link between
> /mnt/hda2 and /lfs, (Knoppix auto dectects all partitions on your
> computers hard drives and builds a custom /etc/fstab for you), but ls -o
> for root says that /lfs is a directory.
>
> I booted a copy of the LFS 4.1 boot cd, mount /dev/hda2 to /lfs
> smbolicly linked /lfs/tools to /tools, deleted the glibc and binutils
> source trees and then tried to rebuild binutils, and it also failed with
> to many symbolic links.

Well I played with the symbolic link for a little bit and I never did get it
to work, so I decided to scrap building from Knoppix or the LFS 4.1 Boot CD,
installed Mandrake 8.0 as my host distro. Mandrake 8.0 is working quite
nicely, the build is going very well even though I am ignoring common sense
and using "-O3 -pipe -march=pentium2" for my $CFLAGS environmental variable.
So far the only difference between with and without the optimization is the
compile times, quite a difference from no optimizations. I expect this LFS
system to really cream Mandrake 8.0 when I get my new video card setup on
both of them, and I'm hoping it will give the main system, (Athlon XP 1800+
256MB, with Windows XP Pro and Geforce2MX400), a good workout has to who has
the better frame rates for 3D games.