To boot lfs with loadlin (please help)

Henri-Robert MASSé hr.m at free.fr
Sun Nov 9 04:42:53 PST 2003

My host system is Debian 3.0 r1, which I start from MS-DOS without any trouble by the following command :

D:\LOADLIN>loadlin.exe linux1 root=/dev/hda7 rw initrd=initrd1.img

I built the lfs system (lfs 4.1) after the instructions of the book, but I did not want to use LILO. I copied the image of the lfs kernel in the MS-DOS partition and called it linux2. The partition where lfs was built is /dev/hda6. However the following command does not work :

D:\LOADLIN>loadlin.exe linux2 root=/dev/hda6 rw

The system halts practically immediately and there is nothing that can be done except to reboot. May I have to generate with lfs a new initrd image to boot with loadlin ? Thank you for any advice.