Glibc fails of error 127 too many symbolic links

Robert R. Russell rrbrussell at cox.net
Sat Nov 8 23:25:41 PST 2003

Allard wrote:

> On Saturday 08 November 2003 21:37, Robert R. Russell wrote:
>
>> I am trying to build a new LFS 5.0 system, with only it on the hard
>> drive, so I am using Knoppix 3.3 EN as the host distro.
>>
>> This is the error message that I get from the second run of make after
>> checking the /tools symlink, and it is identical to the first one.
>

> snip
>
>> gcc -B/tools/bin/ ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/init-first.c -c -std=gnu99
>
> snip
>
>> make[2]: execvp: gcc: Too many levels of symbolic links
>> make[2]: *** [/tools/src/glibc-build/csu/init-first.o] Error 127
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/lfs/tools/src/glibc-2.3.2/csu'
>> make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/lfs/tools/src/glibc-2.3.2'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>> lfs at 0[glibc-build]$
>>
>> According to the results of a search in the LFS archives this sort of
>> problem is caused by incorect symbolic links. I have checked the and
>> made sure the /tools is a symbolics link to $LFS/tools and that
>> $LFS/tools/src is not a symbolic link. The problem still occours if I
>> run make from $LFS/tools/src/glibc-build.
>>
>> Could this be a problem with knoppix since its /bin and /usr folder
>> trees are symlinks to /KNOPPIX/bin and /KNOPPIX/usr. If it is I may have
>> to use the LFS Boot CD.
>

> Are you sure you didn't accidentally put another link to /tools somewhere? The
> "Too many levels of symbolic links" often means a link is pointing to itself.
>
> just a wild guess
> Allard.

The only possible other link to /lfs or /tools might be a link between
/mnt/hda2 and /lfs, (Knoppix auto dectects all partitions on your
computers hard drives and builds a custom /etc/fstab for you), but ls -o
for root says that /lfs is a directory.

I booted a copy of the LFS 4.1 boot cd, mount /dev/hda2 to /lfs
smbolicly linked /lfs/tools to /tools, deleted the glibc and binutils
source trees and then tried to rebuild binutils, and it also failed with
to many symbolic links.