A query.. Build LFS for a different target?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Sat Nov 8 08:23:32 PST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Dale Weber wrote:

> On Saturday 08 November 2003 2:05 am, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
>
> > thats a whole different thing. I do not believe there is a hint about
> > it. There is a hint about building a toolchain targetting cygwin/mingw32
> > but that is not likely the same as eg sparc64.
>
> 	Actually, I didn't mention a specific non-x86 architecture, but am thinking
> more along the lines of smaller  embedded processors like the Intel XScale.
>
> 	It looks like more research into this is needed, but -seems- like it -should-
> be possible to build an LFS from a host system (like x86) for a completely
> different target..  I think the way the LFS is built is basically the same
> way embedded Linux is built for these processors, but I could be way off base
> too.

I may be off-base here, but I seem to recall some words in the "info
gcc" that address the issues of concern. The compiler has a concept of 3
(IIRC) compiler parameters: host, target and build(?). I don't remeber
any details, but it sounded like that was the way to make a compiler on
one machine produce code for another, regardless of architecture.

Info gcc may lead you down the road (to confusion?).  :)

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbillATwlmcsDOTcom