LFS-5.0-PRE3 (possible) issue with shadow and useradd (with fix)

James Tunstall jr_tunstall at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 06:21:12 PST 2003

Hi,

I've just made it through my first LFS install. Such a
good feeling to get it all working, cheers for all the
hardwork in putting this together.

I've now moved on to BLFS, but stumbled at the first
hurdle.

root:~# useradd -D -s/bin/bash
useradd: cannot create new defaults file

After a quick glance at the shadow source (useradd.c)
I saw where the problem was, and the fix is

root:~# mkdir /etc/default

Then useradd -D -s/bin/bash works as expected.

HTH

Thanks