Problems building glibc

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Fri Nov 7 11:23:40 PST 2003

* Dale Weber <lfs-support at thedynaplex.net> [03-1107 18:51]:
> 	I just embarked on building an LFS, and it's already proving to be a very
> good learning experience.  My host distribution is RedHat 9, and I have setup
> a complete partition setup just for my LFS, that mimics the setup I have for
> RedHat 9.
>
> 	Everything has gone great until I tried to build glibc.  I am getting the
> following messages after I followed the instuctions (or so I thought) for
> installing the kernel 2.4.22 header files.
>
> checking size of long double... 12
> running configure fragment for ../../glibc-2.3.2/sysdeps/i386/elf
> running configure fragment for ../../glibc-2.3.2/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux
> checking for egrep... (cached) grep -E
> checking installed Linux kernel header files... TOO OLD!
> configure: error: GNU libc requires kernel header files from
> Linux 2.0.10 or later to be installed before configuring.
> The kernel header files are found usually in /usr/include/asm and
> /usr/include/linux; make sure these directories use files from
> Linux 2.0.10 or later.  This check uses <linux/version.h>, so
> make sure that file was built correctly when installing the kernel header
> files.  To use kernel headers not from /usr/include/linux, use the
> configure option --with-headers=$LFS/opt/sources/linux keyword without luck
> also.

Without knowing red hat, I'd suspect it doesn't install the kernel
headers, or at least not in the usual place. I'd look for an rpm
called "devel-kernel-headers" or similar, or else try to find exactly
where red hat puts them. One other thing you can try is install the
headers as per the LFS instructions in a dummy directory, like
/opt/kheaders, and then point glibc there.

I don't have any idea if this will work, try at your own risk!

HTH,

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/