inittab question (lfs v5, chapter 6)

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 7 07:40:01 PST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 01:44:47 -0700 (MST)
conathan at conet.dyndns.org wrote:

> BTW, I dont exactly know how to get into single user mode, but
> it has something to do with kernel parameters on bootup.

I have this posted on the wall of my room, 'cos I need it so
infrequently the information has usually leaked from my brain.

To boot into single user mode:

'Add the word "single" or "emergency" to the kernel command line"

In Grub, this means hitting 'e' during the boot delay (I have
mine set at 30 seconds, 'cos I'm slow: 'timeout 30' in
/boot/grub/menu.lst) and then editing the kernel line to add
' single' to the end of it.  Then hit 'b' to boot.

N.B. Single user mode is NOT, repeat NOT, a substitute for an
emergency boot floppy.  But it can sometimes help when the
emergency boot floppy has gone walkabout.

--
Cheers, Richard

Richard A Downing FBCS

Anyone  sending  unwanted  advertising   e-mail
to this address will be charged $25 for network
traffic and computing time.   By  extracting my
address from  this  message or its  header, you
agree to these terms.