gcc-2.95.3 question (lfs v5.0, chapter 5)

Stephane Charette stephanecharette at telus.net
Fri Nov 7 00:09:20 PST 2003

I'm now up to:

	http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/5.0/chapter06/gcc-2953.html

where I'm about to install gcc 2.95.3.  But the page doesn't state if I need just core, or the whole damn thing.  Which of these needs to be downloaded:

1) http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-2.95.3/gcc-everything-2.95.3.tar.gz

2) http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-2.95.3/gcc-core-2.95.3.tar.gz

3) http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-2.95.3.tar.gz

(Looks like #1 and #3 are the same thing...?  My bet would be on #2.)

My recommendation for future revisions to the LFS document:  state which part of the gcc package needs to be downloaded/extracted, the way it is specifically stated at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/5.0/chapter05/gcc-pass1.html and http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/5.0/chapter05/gcc-pass2.html.

Thanks in advance for any hints you can offer,

Stéphane Charette