One simple question - Moving to target machine?

Erik Postma epostma at nl.tue.win
Thu Nov 6 01:43:20 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:52:01 -0700, "LiNewbie" <abuse at 127.0.0.1> wrote:
> > > I admit I'm a newbie with LFS and don't have much
> > > experience with Linux in
> > > general. Going through the book I have one
> > > question...
> > >
> > > Once you have the LFS system completed, how do you
> > > move it to the target
> > > machine (or, if you built the LFS system on the
> > > target machine, how do you
> > > remove the original distro you used to build the LFS
> > > system) cleanly?
> >
> > Ok, I'll bite....
> > In mine: the host system (slackware) is in one
> > partition /dev/hda4 and the LFS is on another
> > /dev/hda2
> >
> > They both boot from the GRUB menu.
> >
> > To get rid of the host, while in LFS, I erase or
> > reformat that partition and edit the GRUB to take out
> > the menu choice - voila, its gone.
> >
> > If I had to move it to a different machine, I would:
> > boot linux on the new machine with cdrom or floppy,
> > setup partition(s),
> > copy on the lfs "tree" (cdrom or network connect),
> > run GRUB to point the MBR to lfs, and (fingers
> > crossed)
> > boot.
> >
> > As I understand it, you edit the Grub config, run the
> > GRUB binary, and it then writes itself and the
> > configuration to the MBR (main boot record?) of the
> > hard drive.
>
> Thanks for the replys guys...
>
> Haven't put the system together yet as I wasn't sure I wanted to build
> it here and move to the target PC or be forced to build on the target.
>
> My other concern was that in deleting the host system, partition names
> would change and break the operation of the LFS system... Was also
> wondering about growing the LFS partitions once the space wasn't being
> used by the host system.
>
> Thanks again!

If you do decide to build on a different computer than where you intend to
run the stuff, the cross-compiling hint might be a great help; you can
find it at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/crosscompiling-x86.txt.
Those who know tend to say you should use the "uname hack" method in the
appendix.

--
Erik Postma (Email: reverse the order of nl, tue and win.)