One simple question - Moving to target machine?

LiNewbie abuse at 127.0.0.1
Wed Nov 5 22:52:01 PST 2003

> > I admit I'm a newbie with LFS and don't have much
> > experience with Linux in
> > general. Going through the book I have one
> > question...
> >
> > Once you have the LFS system completed, how do you
> > move it to the target
> > machine (or, if you built the LFS system on the
> > target machine, how do you
> > remove the original distro you used to build the LFS
> > system) cleanly?
>
> Ok, I'll bite....
> In mine: the host system (slackware) is in one
> partition /dev/hda4 and the LFS is on another
> /dev/hda2
>
> They both boot from the GRUB menu.
>
> To get rid of the host, while in LFS, I erase or
> reformat that partition and edit the GRUB to take out
> the menu choice - voila, its gone.
>
> If I had to move it to a different machine, I would:
> boot linux on the new machine with cdrom or floppy,
> setup partition(s),
> copy on the lfs "tree" (cdrom or network connect),
> run GRUB to point the MBR to lfs, and (fingers
> crossed)
> boot.
>
> As I understand it, you edit the Grub config, run the
> GRUB binary, and it then writes itself and the
> configuration to the MBR (main boot record?) of the
> hard drive.

Thanks for the replys guys...

Haven't put the system together yet as I wasn't sure I wanted to build it
here and move to the target PC or be forced to build on the target.

My other concern was that in deleting the host system, partition names would
change and break the operation of the LFS system... Was also wondering about
growing the LFS partitions once the space wasn't being used by the host
system.

Thanks again!