error with m4 in chapter 6

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 3 01:25:55 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 05:37:20PM -0500, bruce at smalltownpoets.net wrote:

> lfs 5pre3
> (all packages im using are straight from the book)
> running make on m4-1.4
>
> doing a search i found someone else with the error here
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002-July/008387.html
> if i read it properly it was kernel headers so i attempted reinstalling
> them.  Afterwards i tried again with still no luck
>
> here is the errors
>
> making all in src
> make[1]: Entering directory `/sources/m4-1.4/src'
> gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I./../lib   stackovf.c
> In file included from stackovf.c:87:
> /usr/include/siginfo.h:8: error: redefinition of `union sigval'

Huh? You are not supposed to have a file called "/usr/include/siginfo.h" on
your system. It must have got there by some broken install of a previous
package. Could you please post that header to the list or at least identify
where it came from. Thanks.

This error is in the archives on quite a few occasions, so you're not the
first to hit this.