error with m4 in chapter 6

Bruce bruce at smalltownpoets.net
Sun Nov 2 17:37:39 PST 2003

"Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:1067819736.366.122.camel at eriond.linuxfromscratch.org...
> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 16:52, bruce at smalltownpoets.net wrote:
> > root:/sources/m4-1.4/src# gcc -v -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I./../lib
> > stackovf.c
>
> That didn't work out:
>
> >        In file included from stackovf.c:79:
> >        m4.h:24:21: config.h: No such file or directory
>
> I guess some Makefile trickery was used here.
>
> Even if it had worked, I don't think it would have given any useful
> info.
>
> Back to square one.
>
> I'd like to see your m4's configure script output. Remove m4-1.4 source
> dir, unpack again, run configure like so:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr > configure.log 2>&1
>
> bzip2 that file, send to this list and I'll compare it to a working m4
> run asap. I'll have to go build an LFS system up to m4 first, so give me
> a day or two to get that one. Maybe somebody else can do it quicker and
> can take your configure script, compare it to their own and show you the
> differences which may give us additional clues.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
> http://www.beekmansworld.com
>
> // Linux Consultant --- OSDN / DevChannel
>
> // If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem

that sounds good and i do apprecieate all your help I am at home now though.
I am working on my lfs system at work so i will have all of that done
tomorrow. on a side not I have installed lfs 4.1 on this machine 3 seperate
times so I do know it will accept linux it is something new in this version
that it does not like. It hasreally  perked my interest to find out what it
is.