error with m4 in chapter 6

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 2 16:35:36 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 16:52, bruce at smalltownpoets.net wrote:
> root:/sources/m4-1.4/src# gcc -v -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I./../lib
> stackovf.c

That didn't work out:

> 	       In file included from stackovf.c:79:
> 	       m4.h:24:21: config.h: No such file or directory

I guess some Makefile trickery was used here.

Even if it had worked, I don't think it would have given any useful
info.

Back to square one.

I'd like to see your m4's configure script output. Remove m4-1.4 source
dir, unpack again, run configure like so:

	./configure --prefix=/usr > configure.log 2>&1

bzip2 that file, send to this list and I'll compare it to a working m4
run asap. I'll have to go build an LFS system up to m4 first, so give me
a day or two to get that one. Maybe somebody else can do it quicker and
can take your configure script, compare it to their own and show you the
differences which may give us additional clues.

--
Gerard Beekmans
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

// Linux Consultant --- OSDN / DevChannel

// If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem