stderr and scripting

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Nov 1 05:51:40 PST 2003

I'm writing a new set of scripts to build my lfs's (looking much more
like the book, flagging each package to enable restarts, calculating
space and time, ...) and I'm having problems with stderr messages in the
logging.

 A typical line will be something like

make 2>&1 >>$LOG

 What I'm noticing, particularly within `make check' (gcc and glibc,
possibly also on others) is that warnings and errors are appearing on
the console.  I've just looked at a glibc failure (seems to be in the
math tests - this is a K6-2, so perhaps not unexpected) and realised
that the relevant errors and warnings are definitely _not_ in the log.

 I'm assuming I've just exposed my lack of scripting knowledge, so would
anybody care to apply a clue bat (gently, please) ?

Ken
--
Will code payroll for food.