Installation of GCC-3.2 failed with Segmentation fault

Stefan Krah sfk1 at bigfoot.com
Fri Jan 31 13:17:12 PST 2003

* You <somewhere at out.here> wrote:
[Segmentation fault,  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/#sig11]
> I'm afraid it doesn't ... I ran Memtest86 for 8 hrs and no mention of an
> error ...

Yes, but the long answer in the faq points you to a site which even doubts
the validity of memtest results:

| However, when "memtest86" tells you that your RAM is ok, you might be
| tempted to believe it. It's telling you that it couldn't find any
| problems. It's not telling you that your RAM is flawless.

Aside from that there could be other hardware issues:

Do you overclock? Is the CPU properly cooled? Proper IDE cables?

You could also download prime95 from http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm,
run the torture test for several hours (afaik 24) and see if you get any
errors.

Stefan Krah
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org