Getting ready to attempt an install..

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 31 11:12:29 PST 2003

Alan Grimes wrote:

>First off I gotta get something off my chest: I HATE LINUX!!!

Boy, are you saying that to the wrong group of people :-) BTW, that is
OT here.

>I went and downloaded all of the LFS packages and then found all the
>updates... -- it seems some of the updates might have broken the patches
>you provided... most notably GCC 3.2.1 which contains about 10^9
>bugfixes... I'll look into applying the patches manually... -- I never
>figured out how to use "patch" anyway... =\

The patches correspond to the version in the book. If you want the
latest packages, use the cvs version of the book.

>I was greatly annoyed that you included vim as a standard package. vi is
>the most evil piece of software ever written. If a judge sentanced
>someone to use vi for 30 days, the sentance would be overthron on appeal
>for being cruel and unusual punishment.
>
>I ripped that out with extreme prejudice and downloaded ee instead,
>which I presume will not be as sadistic...

Hmm, the book mentions alternatives to vim!

>I've read up to ch.2 at this point an will be returning to it in a day
>or so.
>
>Any advice/pointers appreciated.

Yep, there is no support request in this entire e-mail, so mails of this
kind would best fit in lfs-chat. Once you get further than Chapter 2,
and if you have problems when building the book, post to this list.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org