system fails to mount harddisks after boot - Additional

Matt Darcy matt at darcy.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 09:59:04 PST 2003

"Matt Darcy" <matt at darcy.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:b1edbp$6qj$1 at quasar.highos.com...

> "Rainer Peter Feller" <rainer at maren.desy.de> wrote in message
> news:Pine.SGI.4.44.0301311845090.243510-100000 at maren.desy.de...
> > On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Matt Darcy wrote:
> >
> > > it shouldn't be active as I didn't compile devfs into the kernel as an
> > > earlier post suggested that compiling devfs into the kernel could
cause
> the
> > > problem, however I have tried it with both devfs and none devfs in the
> > > kernel.
> > >
> > > I don't think devfs is active at boot time I see no sort of message
that
> > > says "starting devfs" at anytime during the boot process, is there a
> better
> > > way to see this ??
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Matt.
> >
> > my dmesg tells me somewhere
> > devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch (rgooch at atnf.csiro.au)
> > devfs: boot_options: 0x0
> >
> > hm did you try to boot your host system with your new kernel?

> > CUH Rainer Peter Feller
> >
> > --
>

> Hi there, and thanks for persuing this with me
>
> I added my LFS system to the /etc/lilo.conf of my host system.
>
> that way if something went wrong I could boot back into the host system to
> do repairs.
> I can't use dmesg on my lfs system as the system won't boot as it cant
mount
> any of the partitions.
>
>  thanks,
>
> Matt

Additional,

I noted (just caught it this time as it scrolled off the screen)

mounted devfs on /dev

then it starts net 4.0 etc etc

mounts root filesystem in read only......

trys to mount swap and says

cannot stat/dev/hda2 no such file or directory

Is there any "special" tricks I need to do to sort this out ?

Thanks,

matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org