system fails to mount harddisks after boot

Matt Darcy matt at darcy.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 09:54:33 PST 2003

"Rainer Peter Feller" <rainer at maren.desy.de> wrote in message
news:Pine.SGI.4.44.0301311845090.243510-100000 at maren.desy.de...
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Matt Darcy wrote:
>
> > it shouldn't be active as I didn't compile devfs into the kernel as an
> > earlier post suggested that compiling devfs into the kernel could cause
the
> > problem, however I have tried it with both devfs and none devfs in the
> > kernel.
> >
> > I don't think devfs is active at boot time I see no sort of message that
> > says "starting devfs" at anytime during the boot process, is there a
better
> > way to see this ??
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matt.
>
> my dmesg tells me somewhere
> devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch (rgooch at atnf.csiro.au)
> devfs: boot_options: 0x0
>
> hm did you try to boot your host system with your new kernel?

> CUH Rainer Peter Feller
>
> --

Hi there, and thanks for persuing this with me

I added my LFS system to the /etc/lilo.conf of my host system.

that way if something went wrong I could boot back into the host system to
do repairs.
I can't use dmesg on my lfs system as the system won't boot as it cant mount
any of the partitions.

 thanks,

Matt

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org