system fails to mount harddisks after boot

Matt Darcy matt at darcy.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 09:33:23 PST 2003

"Rainer Peter Feller" <rainer at maren.desy.de> wrote in message
news:Pine.SGI.4.44.0301311743040.218609-100000 at maren.desy.de...
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Matt Darcy wrote:
>
> > I have all the devices such as /dev/hda1 available in $LFS/dev thats all
> > fine
> > I did run MAKEDEV -g as instructed in the LFS book 4.0 on page
> > http://www.linuxfromscratch.co.uk/view/4.0/chapter06/makedev.html
> >
> > still doesn't occur to me why I can't mount the devices at boot time.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matt.
>
> is devfs active when booting the new kernel ?

> CUH Rainer Peter Feller
>
> --

it shouldn't be active as I didn't compile devfs into the kernel as an
earlier post suggested that compiling devfs into the kernel could cause the
problem, however I have tried it with both devfs and none devfs in the
kernel.

I don't think devfs is active at boot time I see no sort of message that
says "starting devfs" at anytime during the boot process, is there a better
way to see this ??

Thanks,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org