system fails to mount harddisks after boot

Matt Darcy matt at darcy.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 01:49:07 PST 2003

All,

I have seen a few problems similar to this on the news groups and archives, none of them help me I am afraid

I have built an LFS 4.0 system

All appears to have gone well. I built the system from a redhat 7.3 host system

When I boot my system I get this error

 /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S10swap exited with error code 255 - cannot find
 /dev/hda2.

yet my swap partitions is /dev/hda2 - I have a /dev/hda2 under the lfs file system, and if I boot back into redhat /dev/hda2 is mounted as swap fine.
I can do mkswap /dev/hda2 from the redhat boot, but I can't try it from the LFS as my system will not boot, the LFS system goes on to say it can't mount /dev/hda1 /dev/hda4 etc etc and then spins down the disks

my fstab looks like this

# Begin /etc/fstab

# filesystem mount-point fs-type options dump fsck-order

/dev/hda4 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 defaults 0 0

/dev/hda2 swap swap pri=1 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /var ext3 defaults 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# End /etc/fstab

I have read that having devfs compiled in the kernel can cause this too so I removed devfs from the kernel.

my lilo config looks like this

prompt

timeout=20

default=lfs

boot=/dev/hda

image=/boot/bzImage

label=lfs

root=/dev/hda4

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3

label=redhat

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-3.img

read-only

root=/dev/hda3

~

FYI - the LFS disk config is

/dev/hda1 = /boot

/dev/hda2 = swap

/dev/hda3 = (not used the redhat file system)

/dev/hda4= /

/dev/hdb1 /var

Hope you can help.....

Matt.