bug report to lkml

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Thu Jan 30 20:01:12 PST 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 03:11, Rui Ferreira wrote:
> Short answer:
>         It's my fault;
>         I'm the only one to blame for my own problem.

Wrong if the significant difference in .configs does not boil down to the
support of some buggy chipset.

> Long answer:
>         I've tried your #3 option (linux-2.4.21-pre4 with gcc-2.95.3) with
> no success either.
>
>         As sugested by Ian Molton, I copied mandrake's kernel tree (the
> working one) over to my lfs system and compiled it with gcc-2.95.3 and with
> mandrake's .config file (yes, the one for i586, with everything on it and a
> assload of modules) == Success !

Even a badly configured kernrel should not make oops'es. Try to boil the
problem down to a minimal difference in .config, then recompile wigh gcc
3.2.1 and see if this makes sence.

Since the problem really exists, people on lkml should be notified.

Alexander E. Patrakov.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org