Booting_lilo

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 07:28:36 PST 2003

Rolf Lindenbring wrote:

> Hi List,
> i think someone has to explain me again the boot concept please.
> I downloaded a LFS CD to install it on a new and clean drive.
> I partioned it with hda1 /boot
>                          hda2 /swap
>                          hda3 /

This has made it slightly complicated

> Then i've made filesystems on the disk (ext2 for hda1 and ext3 for hda3)
> So far, so good. Now i mounted hda3 to /mnt/lfs to build my system and
> build everything like discribed in the book. But now comes my question.

When you mounted hda to /mnt/lfs  did you also mount hda1 to /mnt/lfs/boot

I think you may have just had hda3 mounted; in which case your LFS
system on hda3 will have a boot directory containing lilo stuff

> How to set up lilo in this configuration ??
>
> When i've had been installed this on an other machine which has a linux
> system with lilo as bootloader i could go ahead with the book, but now ??
>
> Have i to  mount hda1 to /mnt/lfs/boot ?

Yes.  But the existing boot directory is not empty.  Copy everything
from /mnt/lfs/boot to hda1.  You can mount hda1 to a temporary directory
for this
mkdir  /mnt/lfs/temp
mount  /dev/hda1  /mnt/lfs/temp
cp  /mnt/lfs/boot/*  /mnt/lfs/temp
umount  /mnt/lfs/temp
rm -rf /mnt/lfs/boot
mkdir /mnt/lfs/boot
mount  /dev/hda1  /mnt/lfs/boot

As an alternative, just delete the stuff in /mnt/lfs/boot; mount hda1
on /mnt/lfs/boot.  But go into chroot and rebuild lilo to put the
files back into /boot.  Also put your kernel there too.

Your fstab in /mnt/lfs/etc/fstab will look something like
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults  1  2
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda2  swap  swap defaults 0 0

Your /mnt/lfs/etc/lilo.conf will look something like
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
lba32
prompt
timeout=50

image=/boot/what_ever_your_kernel_is_called
        label=lfs
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only

> How could i install lilo in the mbr ?

Then chroot into the system, change to directory /etc and do
lilo  -C  lilo.conf

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org