LFS on Laptop

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Jan 29 02:00:35 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 14:22, Chris Eagan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first LFS installation and I am through Chpt. 5.  I am using
> a Thinkpad 560X w/ 3.75 GB HD, 96 MB RAM and a Pentium 266 MHz.
>
> I am not sure about where PCMCIA support and ACPI (battery support)
> comes in.  Should they be included in a configuration file when
> compiling the kernel?  I looked the laptop HOWTO but I am still not sure
> where I need to take special measures in the LFS installation.
>
> Any advice, or explanation of similar problems overcome is appreciated.

You can probably get away with using _either_ APM or ACPI for battery
support on that model, although my money is on APM.  I'm not entirely
sure the mainboard supports ACPI.

As to the PCMCIA card, life is easier with these if you don't tell the
kernel a thing about it (excepting in the case of wireless cards, where
one option unrelated to PCMCIA support needs to be on in the kernel) and
just make a generic go at the latest version of pcmcia-cs from
pcmcia-cs.sourceforget.net.  The key to dealing with those things is to
avoid complexity and take small steps.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org