newbie problem with hard disk space...

The Cheeze Cheeziologist at attbi.com
Tue Jan 28 17:51:24 PST 2003

Marc Brekoo [marc at brekoo.no-ip.com] wrote:
<snip>
> Please note that he has still >160megs of memory free... why would a
> box with that kind of free mem go to swap? I guess the box hasn't
> been up long when this command was executed.
<snip>

Not true. When that command was executed my uptime was about 25 days
14hrs or so (power outage knocked it down....d'oh!). The issue that I
would imagine that keeps me from using swap is that my LFS system is a
router/server and only has sshd, proftpd, and folding at home running. At
the time I ran `free` there were no active ftp connections and the only
active ssh one was myself.

--
Registered LFS User: 6929
Registered Linux User: 298182