newbie problem with hard disk space...

Rob Park eocnex at hnyoregn.pn
Tue Jan 28 11:52:52 PST 2003

Alas! Matthijs spake thus:
> (I am currently at
> installing Zlib-1.1.4) and I look at the space I have
> left (366 MB) I think I am not going to make it.

Ok, lets have a look...

$ df -h /dev/hdb5
/dev/hdb5             2.1G  832M  1.3G  38%

That's my LFS root partition... /home is seperate, but everything else
is on there. That includes X, Mozilla, etc, etc. In fact, that includes
these programs:

$ ls /var/install/
aalib-1.4.0
asmail-1.3
aspell-0.50.3
aspell-en-0.50-2
aumix-2.8
curl-7.10.2
cvs-1.11.4
DirectFB-0.9.15
egenix-mx-base-2.0.4
emu10k1-v0.20a
emu10k1-v0.20a-tools
expat-1.95.5
fcron-2.9.3
fetchmail-6.2.0
fvwm-2.4.14
gimp-1.2.3
glib-1.2.10
gnupg-1.2.1
gtk+-1.2.10
gtk-engines-0.12
HTML-Parser-3.26
imlib-1.9.14
IO-stringy-2.108
iptables-1.2.7a
jpeg-6b
lcms-1.09
lesstif-0.93.36
libao-0.8.3
libdivxdecore-0.4.7
libmng-1.0.4
libogg-1.0
libpng-1.2.5
libungif-4.1.0
libusb-0.1.7
libvorbis-1.0
linux_logo-4.06
Mail-SpamAssassin-2.43
MailTools-1.58
Math-BigInt-1.64
MIME-tools-5.411
mozilla
mpg123-0.59r
MPlayer-20030117
mplayerplug-in
mutt-1.4
ncftp-3.1.5
nmap-3.00
ORBit-0.5.17
pkgconfig-0.14.0
procmail-3.22
Python-2.2.2
qiv-1.8
rcs-5.7
screen-3.9.11
SDL-1.2.5
sitecopy-0.11.4
sox-12.17.3
ssmtp-2.48
T1Lib-1.3
tidy
tiff-v3.5.7
unzip-5.42
vorbis-tools-1.0
wget-1.8.2
which-2.14
xc
XML-Parser-2.31
xmms-1.2.7
xpdf-2.01
zip-2.3

So, I think you can make it, with only 1 GB ;)

> I dont think I can make this partition any larger,
> because my own Linux installation (SuSE 7.3 Pro) is
> installed on ReiserFS, and I don't know of a program
> that can make that partition smaller. Can I back up
> all the things I installed till now, and restore them
> quickly on a new system? Or is there an easy way to
> make some room. I don't think I can delete any things
> from my LFS partition, I already deleted all the
> sources.

Try stripping your binaries of the debugging symbols. The instructions
for this are in, IIRC, chapter 9. It reduces the amount of used space
considerably ;)

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark