proc/bus/usb does not exist?

David david at onebelownothing.com
Mon Jan 27 17:54:28 PST 2003

On Monday 27 January 2003 02:40 am, I wrote:
> Please excuse the length of this:
>
> I just finished LFS 4.0 by the book except that I used the 2.4.20
> Kernel. I used the .config file from my RedHat 7.3 host for a first
> run through, and only made minor changes, such as arch type, removing
> a little bit of obviously uneeded clutter, and setting it up as
> needed to prep for installation of the Nvidia drivers for my vid
> card.
>
> It boots fine, except for the following error:
>
> Mount: Mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist.      [FAILED]
>
> Along with the customary "You should not be reading this..." mantra.
> I checked my .config and I do in fact have USB support enabled, as
> well as the usb devicefs stuff. Here's the relevant part of my
> .config: #
> # USB support
> #
> CONFIG_USB=m
> # CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
> # CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
> CONFIG_USB_LONG_TIMEOUT=y
> CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=m
> CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
> CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=m
> CONFIG_USB_OHCI=m
<snip>

> Anyway, here is my modules.conf:
>
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias eth0 eepro100
> alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
>
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
>
> And my fstab:
>
> # Begin /etc/fstab
>
> # filesystem   mount-point fs-type    options     dump    fsck-order
>
> /dev/hda4      /              ext2       defaults    1       1
> /dev/hda3      swap           swap       pri=1       0       0
> proc           /proc          proc       defaults    0       0
> usbdevfs       /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs   defaults    0       0
> /dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom     iso9660    noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0       /mnt/floppy    auto       noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> # End /etc/fstab
>
> The modules.conf I just copied from my host, while the fstab is a
> sort of conglomeration between the books basic suggestions and my
> hosts' file.
>
> Can anyone suggest where I might have gone wrong or how to fix this?
>
> By the way, this is the only error upon bootup. My NIC even works
> fine, which is something I've had to fiddle with every other time
> I've tried LFS (on other machines). I think my sound will even
> work....what's that command to test it?
>
> cat  dev>urandom or something?
>
> Thanks in advance all!

My apologies everyone, but shortly after writing this, I changed the
domain name on the server hosting this mail account, thus I didn't get
any replies, doh!

Since then I've had Gerard remove the old subscriptions, and have
resubscribed under my new domain.

I looked in the mailinglist archives to see if anyone had responded to
this post, but couldn't even find my original post in the archive at
all.

So I'm reposting it here and asking that anyone who can or already did
answer please do so. I would really appreciate it, and am very sorry
for this issue.

I'm holding off doing anything from BLFS until I get plain LFS working
correctly, so getting this USB thing fixed is all that's in my way.

Thanks again,

--
David Costa

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org