Trouble with Glibc Installation (LFS Ch 6.13)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 27 11:53:55 PST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Matt Cantore wrote:

> Can you explain what PS1 does?  I set it exactly as the book calls for in Ch
> 6.3.  Where does that data get saved?  I don't want to foul up my system by
> modifying something I shouldn't as the root user.
>
> -MATT-

 `man bash' /PS1 (`/' means search, assuming your PAGER is `less'), /,
/PAGER .

 Or to put it another way, PS1 is the normal prompt. If you do something
like

 export PS1='\u IN HOST \w \$ '

you will change the password for that shell and its subshells, any
change vanishes when you log out.

 Just make sure you change PS1 in the correct shell!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org