Trouble with Glibc Installation (LFS Ch 6.13)

Matt Cantore mcantore at 141.com
Mon Jan 27 03:51:36 PST 2003

I haven't had time to try clearing everything out and recompiling
glibc-2.2.5 yet, but I wanted to thank Ken for his hints.

I'm keeping an extra console open in superuser mode so I can easily
manipulate my files.  He said the following:

"Now that you are in chapter 6, everything within the chroot jail is
owned by root.  Therefore, to remove files you need to be root.  It's
probably easiest to open a second console session for root on the host
system, and use that to move files etc.  If you do this, it's probably a
good idea to set PS1 differently so that you can easily see which
console is which before you rm something on the host."

Can you explain what PS1 does?  I set it exactly as the book calls for in Ch
6.3.  Where does that data get saved?  I don't want to foul up my system by
modifying something I shouldn't as the root user.

-MATT-