proc/bus/usb does not exist?

David david at desolateonline.com
Mon Jan 27 00:40:23 PST 2003

Please excuse the length of this:

I just finished LFS 4.0 by the book except that I used the 2.4.20
Kernel. I used the .config file from my RedHat 7.3 host for a first run
through, and only made minor changes, such as arch type, removing a
little bit of obviously uneeded clutter, and setting it up as needed to
prep for installation of the Nvidia drivers for my vid card.

It boots fine, except for the following error:

Mount: Mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist.      [FAILED]

Along with the customary "You should not be reading this..." mantra.  I
checked my .config and I do in fact have USB support enabled, as well
as the usb devicefs stuff. Here's the relevant part of my .config:
#
# USB support
#
CONFIG_USB=m
# CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
# CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
CONFIG_USB_LONG_TIMEOUT=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=m
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_USB_EMI26=m
CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH=m
# CONFIG_USB_MIDI is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DATAFAB=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_FREECOM=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ISD200=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_HP8200e=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=y
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55 is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=y
CONFIG_USB_ACM=m
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_USB_HID=m
# CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT is not set
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=m
# CONFIG_USB_KBD is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MOUSE is not set
CONFIG_USB_AIPTEK=m
CONFIG_USB_WACOM=m
CONFIG_USB_DC2XX=m
CONFIG_USB_MDC800=m
CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m
CONFIG_USB_MICROTEK=m
CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI=m
CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=m
# CONFIG_USB_RTL8150 is not set
CONFIG_USB_KAWETH=m
CONFIG_USB_CATC=m
CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER=m
CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m
CONFIG_USB_USS720=m

Hmm, been a while since I've done this, but looking at this I believe I
might have to recompile anyway to get my USB mouse working when the
time comes. Odd though, since this .config is from my RH 7.3 host as I
said, and my USB mouse works fine under it...

Anyway, here is my modules.conf:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 eepro100
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
alias usb-controller usb-uhci

And my fstab:

# Begin /etc/fstab

# filesystem   mount-point fs-type    options     dump    fsck-order

/dev/hda4      /              ext2       defaults    1       1
/dev/hda3      swap           swap       pri=1       0       0
proc           /proc          proc       defaults    0       0
usbdevfs       /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs   defaults    0       0
/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom     iso9660    noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0       /mnt/floppy    auto       noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

# End /etc/fstab

The modules.conf I just copied from my host, while the fstab is a sort
of conglomeration between the books basic suggestions and my hosts'
file.

Can anyone suggest where I might have gone wrong or how to fix this?

By the way, this is the only error upon bootup. My NIC even works fine,
which is something I've had to fiddle with every other time I've tried
LFS (on other machines). I think my sound will even work....what's that
command to test it?

cat  dev>urandom or something?

Thanks in advance all!
--