installing twice??

Eric Miller etmilleretmiller at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 19:55:24 PST 2003

--- Chris Nally <nally at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I noticed that some files are to be installed twice?
>  For
> instatnce,Bash-2.05a is installed in capter 5 and
> chapter 6.  Am I missing
> something here, or is this just an error in the LFS
> book?

No, its not an error.  Chapter 5 creates an
environment from inside which you will build your
actual LFS system in chapter 6.  That environment
consists of a very minimal "toolbox" that has just
what you need to build theentire system.  If you look
carefully, you will notice two differences between
chapter 5 and chapter 6 packages:

- Chapter 5 packages are installed in /mnt/lfs/static,
while chpater 6 packages are installed in /mnt/lfs
(well, actually / after you chroot at the beginning of
ch 6)

- Chapter 5 packages are built statically, while
chapter 6 is built dynamically.

In short, you need chapter 5 to build the system.
After your LFS is done, you can "throw away your
tools" by deleting the /static directory entirely.