Trouble with Glibc Installation (LFS Ch 6.13)

Matt Cantore mcantore at 141.com
Sun Jan 26 13:40:51 PST 2003

Hello.  I'm new to LFS and started installing working the book
yesterday.  Before I go on, I'm using LFS Version 4 and the CVS LFS file
packages.  My computer is an AMD Athlon 800 MHz running with 512 MB.
 The only exception is that I'm using an ext3 filesystem for my LFS.  I
am using Lycoris (build 46) with dev support as my base platform.

Here's my trouble.  I worked straight through to chapter 6.11 with no
troubles.  Everything appeared exactly as the book said.  At chapter
6.13, Glibc-2.2.5, my trouble started.  First, I forgot to untar
Glibc-linuxthreads and it did not work properly. I fixed that but I had
created the glibc-build directory and it failed there.  I removed those
lines of code from the command and I got a fault similar to this:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../sysdeps/generic/allocalim.h',
needed by `/static/src/glibc-build/csu/gmon-start.d'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/static/src/glibc-2.2.5/csu'
make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/static/src/glibc-2.2.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I tried several times.  Each time I had similar problems.  I had
directories that I created and had trouble deleting using the current
work environment.  I went on to the internet and downloaded Glibc-2.3.1.
 I tried that package as well and got the following:

make[2]: *** [/static/src/glibc-build/iconv/iconv_open.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/static/src/glibc-2.3.1/iconv'
make[1]: *** [iconv/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/static/src/glibc-2.3.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Either way, I'm a bit puzzled.  The work enviornment is tough to work
in.  I'm having trouble getting permission to delete my previous
attempts at installing LFS.  I'm having to su just to kill old files and
copy the necessary Glibc-linuxthreads* etc around as necessary to unzip
and untar as needed.

Any idea where my problem could be coming from?  Please tell me if you
require more information.  I'd really appreciate it.  Thank you.

-MATT-
mcantore at 141.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org