Embedded LFS system

Eric Miller etmilleretmiller at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 10:29:34 PST 2003

> I am getting ready to build an LFS system.  I plan
> on using this system as
> a firewall and VPN server only.  I have read over
> the LFS 4.0 book, and I
> see how you configure the LFS system on a host Linux
> box, however, after
> you are finished building your system, how do you
> transfer it over to a box
> all its own (from the host box)?

Chris, I can't help you with the embedded question.
As far as moving your finished LFS to its own system
you can either:

-delete the host partition(s) and let LFS occupy that
system

*or*

-check out
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/lfsbackup.txt

This is only *sure* to work if the hardware is the
same, esp if you used anything other than the default
optimizations.  Even if the hardware is different,
give it a try.  You may be able to solve any HW
problems after the fact easier than doing a new
install.  If you used opt flags, and the systems are
different, dont even bother...it will not work.

Otherwise, you can just build LFS on the system that
you want it on!  Don't bother installing a host system
per se, but use the lfs boot CD and install from that
as your host.  That way, you have no host to delete
when you are done.

http://www.stockwith.co.uk/iso/