CFLAGS, optimasations, howto ?

Dario Birtic dariobirtic at gmx.net
Fri Jan 24 19:58:19 PST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:25:02 +0000
Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:14:49 +0000 (UTC)
> kris at intra-team.de (Kris Wolff) wrote:
>

> > I set up my lfs successful whithout setting optimasations. Now I want
> > to use this to optimise my system on specific hardware.
>
> Unless you know what you are doing, DONT.

	I second that, although, it sounds like patronising. Just to add some
juice to the picture, I compiled LFS 4.0 some time ago for one of my
machines, and used "some" optimizations. In fact, I used ridicculous sum
of optimizating options. And, it isn't worth it. Overall, I gained about
5% in the terms of speed, and I lost *all* stability. How come? Well,
glibc has a libpthread library, when you compile it with
-fomit-frame-pointer, it does not work correctly. I found that out
*after* I did whole bunch of compiling and configuring, including X, and
almost all the stuff mentioned in BLFS. Our beloved mozilla died on me
so many times, I lost count. Finally, as I am software engeneer, after
all, I debuged it, and found the offending library. So, DON'T do it, as
Ian said, unless you *really* know what you are doing.

	STABILITY before SPEED :)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org