swapon: cannot stat /dev/hda6 (swap partition)

Steve Freeman phrisky at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 24 03:21:12 PST 2003

I'm at the end of LFS Book 4.0.  Everything went pretty much without a
problem, until I did my first boot into the new system.  The boot hung
shortly after giving me a "cannot stat" error on my swap partition.  I'm
using Gentoo RC2 (2.14.19) as my host system.  I had copied the LFS kernel
to my Gentoo /boot and used /sbin/lilo from inside my Gentoo installation,
which I believe is "by the book".  I also set up the LFS installation to
use the same swap partition as my Gentoo system.  I have the error along
with some other info that I thought was relevant below.  Sorry about the
long post.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?  I've been chasing my tail
for two days on this.

TIA

--Steve Freeman

## LFS boot error screen ##
#
# VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
# Mounted devfs on /dev
# Freeing unused kernel memory: 260K freed
# INIT: version 2.84 booting
# Activating all swap files/partitions...
# swapon: cannot stat /dev/hda6: No such file or directory              [FAILED]
#
# You should not be seeing this error message. It means
# that an unforseen error took place in /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S10swap,
# which exited with a return value of 255
#
# If you're able to track this error down to a bug in one
# of the files provided by the LFS book, please be so kind
# to inform us at lfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org
#
#
# Press Enter to continue...
# hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
# input0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse] on usb1:2.0
# hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
# usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0xb30/0x5) is not claimed by any active
# driver.
# hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2, assigned device number 2
# hub.c: USB hub found
# hub.c: 4 ports detected
# spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
#
## End LFS boot error screen ##

NOTE:  After the "Press Enter" line, the machine continues on it's own, and
consistently hangs after the USB "4 ports detected" line.  The last "IRQ7"
line pops up inconsistently, sometimes in different places.  I checked the
"S10swap" link.  It exists and I made no changes from the book.  All of my
/dev/hdaX's also exist.

## My drive layout ##
#
# /dev/hda1  MS-DOS
# /dev/hda2  Windows 2000
# /dev/hda3  Windows 98SE
# /dev/hda4  Extended
#    /dev/hda5   Gentoo /boot
#    /dev/hda6   Swap
#    /dev/hda7   Gentoo /
#    /dev/hda8   LFS /
#    /dev/hda9   FAT-32 data
#    /dev/hda10  FAT-16 data
#
## End drive layout ##

## My /etc/fstab on LFS installation ##
#
# /dev/hda8  /             ext2     defaults        1 1
# /dev/hda6  swap          swap     pri=1           0 0
# proc       /proc         proc     defaults        0 0
# devpts     /dev/pts      devpts   gid=4,mode=620  0 0
# usbdevfs   /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults        0 0
#
## End /etc/fstab on LFS installation ##

NOTE:  I tried changing the swap line to match my working Gentoo system with
no results:
  /dev/hda6  none          swap     sw              0 0

## My /etc/lilo.conf on Gentoo installation ##
#
# boot=/dev/hda
# map=/boot/map
# install=/boot/boot.b
# prompt
# timeout=50
# message=/boot/message
# lba32
# default=Gentoo
#
# image=/boot/vmlinuz
#       label=Gentoo
#       read-only
#       root=/dev/hda7
# image=/boot/lfskernel
#       label=IFS
#       root=/dev/hda8
#       read-only
#
# other=/dev/hda1
#       label=MSDOS
#
## End /etc/lilo.conf on Gentoo installation ##

--
Steve C. Freeman
"Everything should be made as simple as

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org