Power Host Machine

Andrew Davis andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
Thu Jan 23 15:53:43 PST 2003

Richard A Downing wrote:
> Rob Millerd wrote:
>
>>Just wondering if it's OK to have a powerful host machine and then move
>>the hard drive to an older computer.  For example I have a PIII 730MHz
>>with 256 megs of ram as my host computer.  I'm building a LFS system to
>>be a dial-up router computer to run on an old 386 133MHz with 16megs of
>>ram.  I noticed while installing Binutils that it said i686.  does this
>>matter?  Will I have any problems running LFS on the old computer in
>>this situation?
>>
>>Thanks
>

> Rob,
> Please read the crosscompiling hint.  It explains everything. Then use the
> one of the two uname hacks - I prefer the Kernel hack myself.
> Richard.
I concur with Rob... read the cross-compiling hint. Basically though,
you just need to *not* compile for your host machine's specific
architecture. ie... don't use something like CFLAGS="march=i686". Since
you said the other machine is an 386, when compiling your kernel, I'd
state you that have a 386 (nothing newer). And you might need to
investigate whether or not you need math co-processor support (been so
long, I forget if that's an 386 option or a 486 option). Alternatively,
if you want to save a bit of time, but end up with two LFS machines, you
could compile two kernels... one as a generic 386 host with most things
modularized and another with optimizations for your more powerful host
machine. Then when you start copying stuff around, just make sure to
copy the right kernel src tree and files in /boot to the right machine.
--
Andrew Davis

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org