lfs-4.0 : chroot problem, suite

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Jan 22 15:35:30 PST 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Benoit wrote:

> > From the host system:
> >0. ensure $LFS is still set (e.g. `echo $LFS')
>
> Ok !
>
> >1. verify that $LFS/static/bin/{ls,mkdir,chown} exist (just in case you
> >built chapter 5 without mounting anything at $LFS.)
>
> They exist !
>
> >2. does `file $LFS/static/bin/{ls,mkdir,chown}' tell you they are
> >statically linked ?
>
> I don't jnow to get this information, so I rebuild the package !
> I typed exactly what is indicated on the book, and .... Nothing change
> I rebuilt bash2.05a : Nothing change

 Everything between the quotes was a command to be typed as shown. You
will use the program called `file' to tell you about the program files
you reported were giving you problems.

> Subsidiary question : what does mean backslashes use in some command ?
> example (bash build) :
>  ./configure --enable-static-link \
>       --prefix=$LFS/static --with-curses &&
> make &&
> make install

 This is probably the root of your problem. The backslash tells the
shell that the command is continuing (so you should see the prompt
chnage from '$' to '>'). The backslash needs to be the last key on the
line, do NOT type any spaces after it before you hit the 'enter' key.

> Benoit
>
> begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT

 Ehh?

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org