Question on kernel upgrades

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Wed Jan 22 03:18:44 PST 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 11:01, Sequeira, Tony wrote:
> Aaaargh!  Are you telling me that I should rebuild a stable system,
> every time binutils, gcc and/or glibc are upgraded?  What about all
> the software installed after the previous successful build, rebuild
> them too?  Isn't this overkill?  Or am I missing something?

Yes, that is the recommended upgrade procedure. Please note that you
don't _have_ to. For example, I upgraded gcc-3.2 to gcc-3.2.1 on my
running system without instabilities _untill now_. You can upgrade to
minor revisions safely. Just be sure to scan lfs-dev so you'll be aware
of any consequences for upgrading these packages since these are
reported there first.

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans