CFLAGS, optimasations, howto ?

John Nielsen knoglen at ifrance.com
Wed Jan 22 04:06:54 PST 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 09:06 am, you wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I set up my lfs successful whithout setting optimasations. Now I want to
> use this to optimise my system on specific hardware.
>
> I plan to setup the envoirment CFLAGS and CPP... (?) variable. I can not
> find a good how to for the best optimasations. I have a pentium IV and a
> AMD k6, manny others will follow. I saw that there is the -arch flag, but
> if this all ?? Can I make grater optimasations, whith oter flags ? Which
> one ?
>
> Can anyone post a good refferencces ? Or give a explaination and a list of
> all flag that I can set.

I would start here.

http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/optimization.txt

And when you are comfortable using that, you can look here for more
optimizations to play with.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.1/gcc/

> Secondary: if there is a rule how much speed I earn whith optimasations ?
> So just a ( mostly 1/6, 1/8m, 1/4 ) thing wouod help.

How much speed you gain depends on your arch and on how agressively you
optimize. I really dont know how much of a speed improvement it gives you. I
have never tried to measure it.

John Nielsen

GRAND JEU SMS : Pour gagner un NOKIA 7650, envoyez le mot IF au 61321
(prix d'un SMS + 0.35 euro). Un SMS vous dira si vous avez gagné.
Règlement : http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/sign.sms

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org