Stupid 'tar' question

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Tue Jan 21 07:44:07 PST 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 20:01, Marc S. Jensen wrote:
> Why in the name of <insert deity of choice>
> is it that, when I untar a source archive, the created files aren't owned
> by me?

1) Some users don't like / have trouble reading HTML mail
2) info tar

`--no-same-owner'
     When extracting an archive, do not attempt to preserve the owner
     specified in the `tar' archive.  This the default behavior for
     ordinary users; this option has an effect only for the superuser.

`--no-same-permissions'
     When extracting an archive, subtract the user's umask from files
     from the permissions specified in the archive.  This is the
     default behavior for ordinary users; this option has an effect
     only for the superuser.

You may want to add these options to a bash alias like

alias ptar='tar --no-same-owner --no-same-permissions'

Do not call this alias tar!!!

Alexander E. Patrakov

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org