Stupid 'tar' question

Blender blender at hotfusion.org
Tue Jan 21 07:24:02 PST 2003

Marc S. Jensen said:
> Hi all,
>
> OK, this is probably a really silly question, and I feel like an idiot
> for asking, but this has been bugging me...

There is no such thing as a stupid (silly) question... :)

> I've built LFS several times, and never had any important problems
> (except one time when I tried to manually do the i18n stuff in glibc and
> didn't know what I was doing), but...  Why in the name of <insert deity
> of choice> is it that, when I untar a source archive, the created files
> aren't owned by me?  I mean...
>
> 1 - Login as root
>
> 2 - Download xyz.tar.gz into /usr/src
>
> 3 - gunzip xyz.tar
>
> I now have xyz.tar, owned by root.  No problem.
>
> 4 - tar -xvf xyz.tar
>
> I now have all the xyz source files in /usr/src/xyz, but they'll all be
> owned by, say "501" or something.  And I don't even *have* a user with
> uid 501.
>
> What gives?
>
> I'll sometimes see similar things with ftp -- I.e., I ftp a file to my
> linux machine, logging in as a specific user, and the file ends up being
> owned by a non-existant uid.
>
> None of this actually stops anything from working -- but I don't like
> having files on my system that aren't owned by actual users.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
>
> -Marc-

I'm not sure but aren't UIDs included in the tar? Often kernels and such
are owned by root:wsrc (at least on OpenBSD systems)

As for your question regarding files downloaded by ftp... maybe the ftp
client you use als uses the UID the file had on the server. I think I read
something about that one day.

Matijs

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org