Question on kernel upgrades

Peter B. Steiger wypbs001 at bornagain.com
Mon Jan 20 23:18:53 PST 2003

on 21 Jan 2003, Jeroen Coumans sez:
> Generally speaking; you rebuild LFS when you upgrade binutils, gcc and
> glibc (however I've succesfully broken this rule many times, with
> caveats of course). Review the kernel documentation (README,
> Documentation/Changes) for the minimum required software.
> Hope this was clear, if a little too verbose.

Well... not really.  When you say "rebuild LFS" do you mean, start all over
at chapter 1?  That's what I'm getting at - say I have a good LFS going and
kernel 2.6 comes along (I'm really looking forward to having alsa support
built in so I don't have to mess with a separate set of drivers)... when I
install the new kernel, will I need to (a) do nothing else, (2) also
rebuild glibc and/or gcc and/or binutils, or (5) blow away all of LFS and
start over from chapter 1?

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY