Question on kernel upgrades

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Mon Jan 20 18:05:13 PST 2003

On Monday 20 January 2003 18:13, Peter B. Steiger wrote:
> If and when a new stable kernel is released, what else should I
> upgrade along with it?  Can I just upgrade the kernel and keep the
> glibc, gcc, lilo, etc. based on the current kernel headers?  Are
> there specific packages that should always be updated whenever I
> build a new kernel?  Or should I build a whole new LFS base from the
> start to ensure total integrity between kernel headers and package
> builds?

If you want to play it safe, just monitor LFS-CVS :) If you want to stay
on the (stable) bleeding edge, subscribe to lfs-dev. Once kernel 2.6.x
is released, it will be tested by LFS'ers. The safest is however to
rebuild a new LFS when you upgrade to the next major kernel revision;
however there shouldn't be any problems if you upgrade to the
recommended/required dependency packages. Just make sure that you keep
the kernel headers which are in /usr/include, since they are what glibc
was built against. See the installation notes for glibc for more
information about it.
Generally speaking; you rebuild LFS when you upgrade binutils, gcc and
glibc (however I've succesfully broken this rule many times, with
caveats of course). Review the kernel documentation (README,
Documentation/Changes) for the minimum required software.
Hope this was clear, if a little too verbose.

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org